Thursday, March 29, 2012

Edel Golf Wedge Review

I just got my Edel wedges in last week. Here are some peripheral pictures of them.




Here are the specs:

52° loft & 16° bounce angle
56° loft & 18° bounce angle
60° loft & 27° bounce angle
Standard length and loft
KBS C-Taper shafts
2,725, 2,691 and 2,677 kg/cm2 MOI-weight (respectively)

I have the cast model, made from 304 stainless steel. Edel has a forged model made from 1025 carbon steel

And yes, you read that correctly.

27° bounce angle.

First up, here’s a general look at the grinds. The grinds on the 56° and 52° are very similar.



Now, here’s the grind on the 60° which has a bit of a ‘split-sole’ grind.



The main point of these pics is you should be able to tell that the sole isn’t some big, clunky sole with such a big bounce angle. Here’s a pic showing what the 56° looks like when I fan it open.



The range I play at has certain areas where it’s genuine ‘hardpan’ and I’ve practiced with the Edel wedges and actually found this to be a strength of the Edel design. Take a look at this video of me off the hardpan.



No problem whatsoever.

The idea behind the big bounce angles is to not have the clubhead stick into the ground. When that happens, golfers become conscious of that and Edel Golf’s idea is that the golfer will ‘hang back’ (aka leave their weight on their back foot) on the downswing.

What I believe Edel’s wedge design does for the more full swings is it allows the golfer better distance control since the club won’t stick into the turf. Here's some pics of the divots I take with my 56° Miura K-Grind which has 12° of bounce.



And here's my divots with the Edel 56° with 18° bounce angle.



You can see a bit of a difference with the Edel divots being smaller.

Another great feature is how the grooves and Center of Gravity is moved away from the heel. Here’s a pic comparison between my 56° Edel and my 56° Miura K-Grind wedge. Take a look at the difference in the grooves towards the toe.



I know that when I use wedges, particularly on chips and flops, the shots tend to go off towards the toe. This design of the grooves towards the toe allow me to avoid hitting the knuckleball shots.

Here’s a pic of the grip (in black).



This is a Lamkin grip and it’s a longer sized grip than your standard grip. This allows the golfer to choke down on the club more.

It’s a very workable wedge. I could hit every shot with it. While I like the Miura K-Grind for it’s playability, I think Edel has managed to one-up them with their custom designs. I could hit flips, lobs, pitches, punches, etc. off of all types of lies. And bunkers are a cinch.

I recommend finding an Edel wedge fitter in your area and giving them a try.








3JACK

3 comments:

Brophy said...

Good stuff.

Are you actually gonna game the 52? Seems to me you've never been a fan of gap wedges.

Rich H. said...

Probably not that often. I prefer my current setup of Driver, 3-wood, 2-hybrid, 3-PW, 56* and 60*.

However, if it's obvious that the course doesn't require a hybrid, 3 or 4-iron, I can always put the 52* in.




3JACK

Sam Robert said...

HOT DEAL! LAMKIN CROSSLINE BLACK GRIP

Looking to enhance your golf game? Look no further! Introducing the incredible Lamkin Crossline Black Grip, the ultimate choice for golfers seeking superior control and comfort. Don't miss out on this fantastic opportunity to improve your swing and dominate the course!

Golf Balls

Wood Cover

Golf Practice Mat