Friday, March 5, 2010

Ricky Fowler Golf Swing

Here's some views of Ricky Fowler's swing.





Currently, I'm not a big fan of Fowler's swing. I think he does a lot of things well, but his CF release has me worried. One thing you discover about the CP release when you get into it, is you have to have a lot of pivot thru and past impact or the arms will fly off your chest.

This is something focused on by Lag Erickson, but also something that MORAD teachers talk about as well.

There's actually a lot of CF releases out on Tour, but they are usually ungodly long and/or great putters.

One of the things that sticks out to me is how he gets up on the toes of both feet at impact and spins on the left foot. Off the top of my head, Laura Davies did this and had success, but she was ungodly long for an LPGA player at the time and a pretty good putter as well.

I will say that I like his swing philosophy of paying close attention to the clubface and focusing on getting the initial ball flight where he wants it.

But we'll have to wait and see what the future holds.





3JACK

3 comments:

Mike Hollister said...

I kinda feel like he's such a little guy that he needs to get up on his toes. I don't know his stats but he looks about 5' 4" and 135 lbs.

btw, I signed up as of Lag's students b/c of your recomendation. Great stuff and thanks!

Anonymous said...

Richie....I think your placing too much importance on having a cp swing. There is a reason why must don't, and that because it is really hard. You have to have so much speed e.t.c. That is why you see Mac himself cp it with the shorter stuff, and gradually get cf with the longer clubs.

Rich H. said...

I would've figured Mac switched to CF in the longer clubs in part because of the different design of the clubs and (I have no idea if Mac refers to this) D-Plane.