Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A Look Into the Results of The Latest Poll Question

Here's a look into the results from the latest poll question 'What Company's Line of Putters Do You Like Best?'
Scratch - 0 votes
Nike - 1 vote
Scratch just developed these line of putters. The designs are not really that unique, a lot of 8802 style blades, Anser designs, etc. Since they just came out and are not cheap, I didn't expect a lot of votes. I've talked to people that own Scratch wedges and irons and the reviews are extremely high, so perhaps their putters are just as good.


Nike has struggled with their putters and recently came out with their 'Method' line which is basically your typical putter designs with Nike's patented groove pattern that will supposedly reduce skid.
Cleveland - 2 votes
Heavy Putter - 3 votes
Taylor Made - 4 votes
Cleveland owns the Never Compromise line, but their line of Cleveland Classics is quite good as well. The Classic line consists of an Anser, Zing2, and Newport models, but is a nice, soft putter that is pretty cheap ($70). I like the older line of the Never Compromise putters more than the weird current designs.

When I got fitted for a putter one of the things we found in my case is that I see my skid reduced when I have a heavier putterhead. That's the thinking in part behind the Heavy Putter line, although there are plenty of golfers where heavier putters give them problems and they might need more weight up near the butt of the club.

I'm not a big fan of the looks of Taylor Made's Spider Putter, but the putter fitter I went to (Golf Doctor) stated that they had great success with reducing skid by switching golfers to Taylor Made putters. I also found it interesting that Geoff Mangum posted over at his forum that Taylor Made had some of the better putter designs going on right now.
SeeMore - 5 votes
Bobby Grace - 5 votes
SeeMore is a putter line that I like to a degree, although some of their putters are a bit steep in price. The Rifle Scope technology I think makes sense if you want to take shaft lean out of the putter, but I don't think it will help you aim the putter better. They've done a nice job of adding new putter designs to their product.


Bobby Grace is a masterful putter maker that took a small break from the industry but appears to be back in the game.


He can still make some really nice classical looking putters, but still makes the unorthodox mallet type putters. His current putters can go up to $1,200. I really dig his Artist Series putter.
TP Mills - 8 votes
Mizuno (Bettinardi) - 9 votes
Bob Bettinardi is no longer with Mizuno. Most of his designs were nothing new, but he did bring back Anser style putter heads that are face balanced. The Black Series are very nice.


TP Mills is still going strong. The designs have changed slightly, but they still excel on craftmanship and putter feel.

Yes! - 14 votes
Ping - 16 votes
I use a Yes! Victoria II putter. I'm obviously biased towards Yes!, but I find the company to do just about everything I like out of putter manufacturer. The heads vary in design instead of being the typical 8802, Newport, B60, Anser and Zing2 styles. Some of the designs are downright exotic. A lot of different designs in face balanced or non-face balanced. Lots of different putter head weights to choose from, a typical putter loft of 2.5*, pretty soft feel and the standard lie angle is 72* which is more upright than usual. I hope to land an Edel Vari-Loft Putter next year, but if I didn't I would probably have a couple of different Yes! putters ready for use.

Ping still goes strong with their steady putter line. I wish they would make a B60 Redwood model (surprised they didn't), but Ping still makes a good putter.
Odyssey - 19 votes
I'm not a big fan of Odyssey. If you want a soft feeling putter, Odyssey is usually it. But their Quality Control is usually horrendous and the lofts on the putters are way too high for my tastes.
Scotty Cameron - 25 votes
Scotty Cameron makes a nice looking, soft putter. But their Quality Control really isn't that great and I don't like their loft and lie angles (usually about 4* loft and flatter lie angles). Plus, they are not cheap. David Orr has noted that according to his study golfers usually play with too much loft in their putters because most golfers wind up adding loft on the putter during their stroke.

Once again, thanks for voting on the poll.






3JACK

No comments: