Tuesday, September 29, 2009

3Jack's Translation of TGM: Part 7G


Section 6-M goes into a general definition of the 'release', the sequence leading into the release, and a basic overview of the 2 different types of releases.

BASIC DEFINITION & OVERVIEW

The Release triggers the Power Accumulators into action and starts all the parts of the machine towards the 'Moment of Truth' (impact). All the golfer's attention will be directed towards the downswing sequence, so the full swing will flow smoothly thru impact from the top of the swing directly to the finish.


DOWNSWING SEQUENCE

The Power Accumulators release in the sequence of #4-#1-#2-#3 provided all of the Power Accumulators are used by the golfer.

Any Accumulator number may overlap or replace its preceding number, but cannot precede it.
Meaning, instead of a golfer using the sequence 4-1-2-3, they can go, 4-2-2-3. But, they cannot go 4-2-1-3.


RELEASE TYPES

There are two release types --- Automatic and Non-Automatic.

Non-Automatic = Drives the hands to their location at Impact.

Automatic = Drives the hands to the Aiming Point.


NON-AUTOMATIC RELEASE

The non-automatic release is part of the non-automatic stroke. The non-automatic stroke is actually what it sounds like, a swing that is not 'automatic.' Meaning that the golfer should consciously try and perfect each part of the swing and then consciously perfect the downswing sequence and the release of the power accumulators. Homer talks about never 'making a shot', but instead 'make a motion.' So if you want to hit a big fade, don't just try and hit the big fade and instead make the motion that will produce the fade. I think Hogan's slow motion drill is a good way to work on your Non-Automatic Stroke and the Non-Automatic Release.




AUTOMATIC RELEASE

Once the Non-Automatic stroke is mastered and it becomes a case where the golfer may have one or two swing feels and then they let it rip, the golfer can then push on to maximize things like delay of the release (aka maximizing trigger delay).

So basically, the non-automatic release focuses on the alignments. Getting those hands forward with some shaft lean so you have a flat left wrist at impact that is not bent nor arched.


Then once you get those alignments down and grasp those mechanics, you can feel what it's like when you have the proper mechanics and then you can approach the swing with a swing feel and let it rip.







3JACK

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Rich,


I still have a question about aimpoint. You mentioned (as Jeff has) that using the left big toe as your aim point works for many. When I have tried that, I noticed that my brain tells me that my hands cannot go straight at my big toe but needs to go around my body (from the end of the backswing towards the inside of the ball and then the hands go back in toward the left big toe. Not a straight line. Is that right or am I missing something?

Rich H. said...

That's fine. Remember, Aiming Point just gives the golfer a target as to where to thrust the hands. It's almost like a boxer finding a target to throw a jab. And you don't have to use the left big toe. That's usually a decent starting point. Experiment, trial and error, and then find your aiming point.

Unknown said...

Richie,

One more question on aim point, I promise.
If I understand TGM and you correctly, if my left big toe is my aim point; then if I am a hitter I push Accumulator #1 at my big toe instead of the inside rear quadrant of the ball. If I am a swinger I pull at my big toes instead of the inside rear quadrant of the ball. Is that right? It seems strange.

Rich H. said...

Take you stance w/o a club. Swing to the top. From the top of the swing to the follow thru the right arm will fold and then straighten. At impact the right elbow should be bent slightly. After impact, into the follow thru, the right arm straightens completely and that's where the thrust really happens.

You can achieve this in two main ways. The hitter just actively pushes the right arm into straightening. The swinger will pull with the left arm/left side/pivot and the right arm comes along with it.

Unknown said...

Richie,

Now I am really confused. I understand what you said above but what I am try ask is: Is the aim point where the pull(#2 accumulator/swingers)/thrust(#1 accumulators/hitters) is directed? I thought that pressure point #3 is directed at the aim point.

Rich H. said...

It's really where the thrust is directed, however you can certainly direct the #3 PP there as well.

Unknown said...

Rich,

Do you (as a hitter) direct the thrust of Acc. #1 at your left big toe?

Rich H. said...

I thrust the #1 PP into the base joint of my left thumb. I basically freeze the right wrist and try to drive the ball into the ground. I use the #1 PP because it prevents me from flattening the RIGHT wrist. When you flatten the right wrist, the left wrist has to bend (or flip).