Saturday, December 6, 2008

Technasonic Check-Go Sweet Spot Finder

Was reading this old post over at http://www.lynnblakegolf.com/ forum (I'm considering getting Blake's Alignment Golf DVD set as well) from PGA Tour caddy, Overkill.


Using a line is becoming very common both on the greens and off the tee.

On tee shots some Pros have the line parallel to the clubface because looking down at it bothers them visually.

However, I would not take a manuf. at face value that the line is in the best location. If you put one of the most popular balls on a "scope" you will find that the line on the ball and the "scope" do not often match. Because of this, I am aware of one pro who wants all the balls he gets scoped by the manuf. before he gets them.




Overkill then replied later on in the thread.


Yoda (Lynn Blake),

Sorry about that, I was talking about a type of Gyroscope; by spinning the ball at high speed you can locate its balance point and mark it with a line or a dot.

I believe that a ball struck where it is in balance will fly straighter and have a truer roll ; we all know how a ball flies when it gets a glob of mud on one side which really puts it out of balance.

I'm sure we all like to think that when we buy top line balls that they are just that, top line; however, I have had some vibrate so much they would not stay on the Gyro. The one I use is made by Technasonic but I'm sure there are others; they can be found in most Golf stores (PGA for sure) and on-line.


I actually have the Technasonic Check-Go that Overkill is talking about. I got it as a Xmas present awhile back, but didn't use it because I thought it wasn't anything special. Plus, I didn't like the line...although Overkill talks about how you can just put a dot on the ball instead (just aim the dot off to the side so it is pointing between your feet.

I would also suggest not using a line on the ball anyway. Why? Because according to Orr, his studies show that there's only a marginal improvement in golfers who use the line on the ball from 6 feet. From 8 feet out, there is improvement, but it's so small that it's almost extinct. And as David Edel has shown with his putters, using the line on your putter has made golfers WORSE at aligning shots.

Tiger uses the line on his putts, but I've watched Tiger pretty closely and he doesn't seem to get to focused on aligning the line on the ball to the target. So either he's so incredibly talented that he can align the ball quickly, or he uses the line mostly on short putts and on longer putts it's just a reference point while he's using the putter head to actually align his putts.

Even still, I thought it was interesting that if you read the thread, even Blake (a renowned teacher to many tour pros) didn't even know that players were using the scope to find the balance on their golf balls. I'll try this out and give an update on what I think.




3JACK

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Drop your check go balanced balls in a salt water solution and watch as the lightest side floats to the top and the heaviest side sinks to the bottom. Many times the lightest spot will not match the Check-Go line. If you’re interested in learning more about truly balanced balls visit our website:

http://reallinesports.com/